The Bremen City Hall is the seat of the mayor of the city of Bremen, in northwestern Germany. Built from 1404 to 14101, it is one of the most important examples of brick Gothic in Europe.
To build the Gothic Town Hall, the city bought and demolished two houses, the House of the Cordovaners Guild (tanners and fine shoemakers) and the home of an outlawed mayor. It was built as a demonstration of communal power between the archiepiscopal palace and the market square, which had been leveled and paved a century before. This former city hall comprises large rooms on three levels, the upper room for large meetings and the lower room formerly market hall and nowadays as an exhibition hall. The rooms were a little longer and wider than the large room of the archiepiscopal palace. Below is subdivided the municipal cellar. Until 1608, the Town Hall had two walkways, one on the gutter and one on the arcade to the market square. Under the arcade, court hearings were held. The city council itself, called the Wittheit, comprised 36 people and sat in an annexed room at the upper hall level.
The facades have been decorated with sixteen large sculptures, which represent an emperor and seven prince-electors (towards the market square), to the northwest and four ancient philosophers (originally four prophets of the Bible) to St. Peter's Cathedral Moses, Solomon and Jonah or Daniel. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America