The Storkyrkan (meaning literally the big church), or St. Nicholas Church (Sankt Nikolai kyrka), also the Stockholm Cathedral, is Sweden's second oldest church in Stockholm. It is located in the old town, near the Royal Palace. It is a Protestant Lutheran church since 1527, seat of the diocese of Stockholm. The kings of Sweden were crowned there until 1907.
It is made of plaster covered bricks painted in yellow and white for some details. The interior, begun in the 13th century, is of Gothic brick style, typical of the countries around the Baltic Sea, but the exterior was greatly altered around 1740 by architect Johan Eberhard Carlberg to take on a Baroque style. It houses among other works a wooden sculpture of Saint George slaying the dragon, supposed to have been made in 1489 by Bernt Notke, as well as the oldest existing painting of Stockholm, which dates from 1520. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America