The Basilica Santa Maria della Salute is a church in Venice located at the southern end of the Grand Canal.
Its construction was decided by the Senate of Venice in 1630, when a plague epidemic that began in the summer of 1630 decimated nearly a third of the population in two years. The construction began in 1631 and the monument was inaugurated in 1681. However, the construction was completed in 1687, 5 years after the death of the architect, Baldassare Longhena. He will have dedicated 50 years of his life. This is indeed the construction of Venice based on the largest number of piles: 1 156 6271. Its construction cost four hundred thousand ducats gold. It was consecrated on November 9, 1687 by the patriarch Alvise Sagredo. The management of the church was granted by decree of the Senate of December 29, 1656 to the Somasque fathers, holding college in Trinità. In 1670, they obtained the authorization of the Senate to build a new College next to La Salute. The construction, entrusted to Baldassare Longhena ended in 1692. It was largely the work of Gian Girolamo Zanchi, provincial superior and general of the Order.
The community escaped the first Napoleonic suppression, but was subsequently abolished following the Royal Decree of April 25, 1810. In 1817, the former College was used as a patriarchal seminary, previously located in Saint-Cyprien de Murano. Although this basilica has no particular cultural significance, it is famous, and often depicted on paintings and photographs of Venice because of its location and distinctive appearance. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America