San Giorgio Maggiore is a Venetian abbey basilica located on the small island of the same name in the basin of San Marco, facing the Piazetta. It is served by the Benedictines of the Congregation of Subiaco.
Started in 1566 by Andrea Palladio, it is completed a century later by Simone Sorella. The church is famous for its choir decorated with paintings of Tintoretto: The Manna (left wall) and especially The Last Supper (right wall), one of the most famous paintings of the master.
It is a church with a sequenced nave reserved for the clergy. The choir is almost in the center and its facade imitates that of a temple. We can see a strip that will unify the four facades. To the right of the choir, a door leads to the conclave hall where the election of Pope Pius VII took place. It is decorated with an altarpiece by Vittore Carpaccio. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America