The residence of Munich, also called Palace of the Residence, was the castle of the dukes, electors and kings of Bavaria, in the heart of Munich. It comprises ten courtyards and 130 rooms divided into three groups: the royal apartments (Königsbau) (up to the Max-Joseph-Platz), the Old Residence (Alte Residenz) (to the Residenzstraße) and the building of the party hall (Festsaalbau) (to the courtyard gardens).
The construction of the residence is spread over several centuries. There is therefore a mix of Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and Classical styles. On the Residenzstraße, four bronze lions can be seen at the main entrance. During the Second World War, the residence suffered serious damage. Of the 20,000 m2 of the roof, only 50 m2 remained. Also, the residence was rebuilt after the conflict. However, parts were definitely lost: the frescoes of the church of all the saints, the apartments of the pope, the throne room (now Hercules' new salon). The theater Cuvilliés was also rebuilt but in a different place, from 1958. The work was staggered until 1985.© Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America