The Church of Our Lady Dresden is a Lutheran church in Dresden, designed by architect George Bähr, begun in 1726 and completed in 1743. It is considered one of the most beautiful Lutheran churches in Germany. With its huge dome surmounted in stone, technical masterpiece of Baroque architecture, and the large lantern that surmounts it, the church is 96 meters high.
It was almost completely destroyed, like most of the city, during the Allied bombing of Dresden on February 13, 1945. Its identical rebuilding began in 1994 and was completed in 2005. The old stones that were reinstated to the edifice stand out for their dark color, due to aging, while the new stones, majority, are light in color. Since its construction, the Church of Our Lady is considered by the Lutheran inhabitants of Dresden as the symbol of Protestantism, facing the Prince-Elector of Saxony and King of Poland, August II the Strong, who converted to Catholicism in 1697 His son Auguste III will build the Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity, at the same time that the municipality built the Church of Our Lady. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America