The Zwinger is an old place of relaxation and festivities of the kings of Saxony, now transformed into a museum. He is in Dresden, Germany. It was built on the site of the old fortress of Dresden whose outer wall has been preserved. The word "Zwinger" refers to the part between the outer and inner walls of a fortress. Indeed, at the time of Auguste le Fort, he was outside the city. It is one of the major attractions of the city of Dresden, in particular because it houses the Dresden National Collections (Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden) museums such as the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister, the Rüstkammer and the Porzellansammlung.
It was commissioned in 1709 by Auguste II known as "le Fort" and directed by Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann between 1711 and 1722. The enclosure was closed by the construction, between 1847 and 1854, of the building which houses the gallery of paintings, made by Gottfried Semper. Baroque style, it was badly damaged during the Second World War, February 13, 1945. The Zwinger was one of the first buildings of Dresden to be rebuilt after the war. The restoration was completed during the 1960s. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America