The St. Michael's Church in Munich, Bavaria (Germany) is a large Renaissance religious building ending. Built for the Jesuits (from 1585 to 1597) by William V, Duke of Bavaria, the church expresses well in its architecture the transition from the Renaissance to the Baroque.
The impressive facade combines structurally baroque elements in its triple level surmounted by a pediment and supported by discrete pillars (rather than columns). The decoration, however, clearly marks a beginning of classicism in its search for symmetrical lines and its mannerism. If, between the two entrance gates is the traditional statue of the Archangel Michael, killing the enemy of the faith, on the upper levels of the façade, the niches contain statues of the lords of the Bavarian family and not the saints as one would expect. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America