The Church of the Redeemer (Basilica del Redentore) is an important Venetian church, located on the island of Giudecca, designed and started in 1577 by the architect Andrea Palladio (died in 1580), completed by Antonio da Ponte in 1592.
The plague epidemic that strikes Venice from 1575 decimates almost 1 in 3 Venetians. In September 1576 when the evil seems impossible to stop, the Senate asks the divine help in formulating the vow to build a new church dedicated to Jesus the Redeemer. Andrea Palladio will be the architect. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America