The Bridge of Sighs was built in 1602 to connect the Doge's Palace with the new prison (completed in 1614) by Antonio Contin. He also worked with his uncle Antonio da Ponte on the Rialto Bridge. Antonio Contin designed a baroque style bridge built of marble and white Istrian stone. Two "stone" stone windows are present on both sides of the structure. This bridge-passage was developed to serve very precisely for these purposes and is therefore constituted as a double corridor.
Thus, depending on whether one borrowed it in one direction or another, one used the left or right lane, which means that the convicts could never see each other or talk to each other. It was the same passage that also took them from prison to torture rooms. Taking it, one went either to the wells, dark and humid dungeons, located in the basement, or to the sinkers where the prisoners were suffocating in the heat of cells located under roofs covered with large plates of lead.© Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America