The church was built on the ruins of the Jewish synagogue destroyed during the pogrom of 1349. It was commissioned by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. It is believed that the architect in charge of the design is Peter Parler, the architect of St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague, but there is no proof.
The altars of the entrance to the choir were consecrated in 1358. The building was not completed until the 1360s. The chapel was later used as the imperial court chapel and meeting place of the nobility of society chivalrous Fürspänger (de). In 1361, the successor to the imperial throne Wenceslas of Luxembourg was baptized in the neighboring church of Saint-Sébald; on this occasion, the insignia of the imperial power are presented in the environment of the choir of Saint-Michel. However, the terrace in front of the west facade of the Frauenkirche is not adapted to the usual presentation of the imperial insignia, but rather to the presentation of the voluminous and precious relics that Charles IV, among others, gathered. The unusual plastic program of the portal and keystones refers to the baptism of Wenzel, the successor to the crown.
In 1442 and 1443, Heinrich Traxdorf of Mainz built "a medium organ and a small one". In 1466, the sacristy burns, it is rebuilt in 1487. In the years 1506-1508, Adam Kraft creates a new gable west. The church was renovated between 1810 and 1816 under the leadership of Lorenz Rotermundt as part of a reassignment as a Catholic parish church. Between 1946 and 1953, the damage inflicted at the end of the Second World War was erased: only the walls of the long nave and the facade remained standing. In 1989-1991, the building was repaired, and on this occasion a Star of David was placed with the year "1349" in the floor of the choir in memory of the pogrom against the Jewish quarter of the market square in 1349. Since then 2003, the west facade is sanitized. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America