The Englischer Garten is a large green area of almost 375 hectares in the north-eastern part of Munich, in the Schwabing district. One of the largest landscaped gardens in the world, the Englischer Garten, located to the north of the city center, is the green lung of Munich with its large expanses of lawns - frequented by nudists in summer. It is one of the most popular walking and meeting places for locals and tourists alike. It contains four Biergartenc: Aumeister and Hirschau in the northern part of the park, those of the Chinese Tower and the "Seehaus" in the southern part.
The garden, open to the public in 1792, has a plan inspired by the English garden model and was designed by Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell. The idea goes to the American physicist Sir Benjamin Thompson (1753-1814), better known as "Count Rumford", Minister of War and social reformer under Charles-Theodore, who suggested first to make a military garden then a public garden. His successor Maximilian IV became steward of the garden and significantly influenced the park. The English Garden is divided into two parts by a road, the Isarring. The northern part is called Hirschau, Hirsche meaning cervids in German.
On 3 September 1939, one of the Mitford sisters, Unity, who was close to Hitler but a British citizen, did not support the declaration of war on the same day as the United Kingdom to Nazi Germany. © Photo of Emmanuel Buchot
Photos of European countries to visit
Photos of Asian countries to visit
Photos of America